I went to the ERC Board meeting this morning and here are some items I found interesting in my incomplete notes.
- The ERC Board Chair, Dawn Whitmore, left Nevada County for a job in Texas.
- The Chair Elected, Rolf Kleinhans resigned before sitting in the chair.
- Lisa Swarthout, GV City Council, was appointed as the new Chairperson
- Kimberly Parker, SNMH Foundation, was appointed to replace Rolf Kleinhans as Chair Elect.
- A medical device company employing six people is planning a move to Grass Valley from Mountain View.
- ERC wants to get a better handle on home business, there seem to be a lot of them in NC.
- Fudge Bar company looking for investors
- Creative Coops a backyard chicken coop manufacture looking for investors
- Telestream expected to double work force, not all in Nevada County, as recruiting is an issue for seasoned people, need jobs for partners.
- Aja Video has hired 25-30 engineers
- Nevada County Business Association is looking to start a business incubator, to bring together mentors and entrepreneurs. They are responding to outside interests willing to invest in vetted opportunities. Will be patterned after one in Chico.
- Contractors Association is still working on home business zoning regulations that impact contractor equipment storage at home. Regulation back on Planning Commission table.
- Newmont Mining Corporation has bought the North Star property and the City of Grass Valley has no clue of how they are going to use the property, according to Lisa Swarthout. The city was planning in them buying 20 acres for the mandated water processing plant, and have a Sacramento buy the rest to develop business and residential parks, but Newmont surprised everyone by buying the whole property.
- Nevada County has $85K block grant to help the homeless,submit your grant requests to County
- EDD has developed a jobs profile for Nevada County industries with recommendations for farther growth, including green jobs. [I have requested a copy from Alison Lehman at the County]
- Housing prices are still declining, land for sale inventory increasing, housing inventory decreasing. If you do not have 20% to put down not much chance of buying with a loan.
- Penn Valley residence are seeking bus service to Yuba City for shopping trips and medical visits, efforts being made to cut this effort off at the pass.
If you have any questions, please post them in the comments.